Tuesday 22 May 2012

HERMES



I do love the fabulous advertisements in glossy magazines for luxury goods.   Earlier this year the new 'butterfly' ad for the new over-sized Hermes scarf simply took my breath away.  The delicate beauty of a young girl standing close to a huge old tree, with a magnificent scarf flying away from her body.. compelling, ethereal and delicate.  An incredible concept.

This luxury goods giant was founded in 1837 by Thierry Hermes, manufacturing wrought harnesses which later lead to saddlery and the beginning of retail sales.  In 1880 the shop on rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore was opened where it remains today.  Handbags and women's couture followed and in 1935 the 'Kelly bag' was introduced.   One hundred years after the original founding, scarves were introduced for which this house is probably most famous.

Today Hermes has numerous product divisions, - leather, scarves, ties, men's wear, women's fashion perfume, watches, stationery, footwear, gloves, enamel, decorative arts, tableware and jewelry.

What I find the most interesting is that Hermes has always resisted mass production, assembly lines and mechanisation.  Their goods are almost entirely made in France by hand with an emphasis on quality, often made from beginning to end by one person.  

Their Homeware division is irresistible!  How I would love to gaze across my table beautifully laid with a range of their beautiful dinnerware and crystal.  

I love their blankets

Most of all, I adore their scarves.
A dear friend gave me a vintage scarf which belonged to her late mother for a recent
 birthday.   I have also received these treasures from my family over the years and never tire of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment